What To Do When You Hate Your Job
I Hate My Job
If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say they hate their job I would be set for life. Lets face it jobs can be demanding and stressful. what you do when you hate your job can be a complicated discussion but if your willing to work a little extra and remain teachable, I can help you finally say goodbye to that job you hate. I mean what does the word job mean anyways? To me it stands for Just Over Broke (JOB) this sounds funny but it’s true.
I hated my job so much that at one time I had two of them. How crazy is that? But what can you do about it? We all have bills and you have to eat, and what do you do when your boss is a jerk who couldn’t do your job if his or her life depended on it. Yet they can’t wait to tell you how to do it and pick your work apart. It certainly doesn’t make it any easier to get yourself out of bed to go to work in the morning, does it?
So what can you do if you hate your job? We already established that we need to work to survive, so how can we be happy at a job we hate? What can we do if we hate our jobs?
Look at Yourself
1. Is it your job you hate or is there something else going on in your life. Many times we have issues in our personal life and it carries over to your job. Take a look at what really is bothering you about your job. It could be as simple as seeking outside help to ease the stress of going to work. If this is not the case Maybe you feel like you have been wronged by your employer, maybe you were passed over on a promotion that you feel you should have been awarded or maybe your boss is just a jerk. Whatever it is the first thing you should do is to take a self assessment and see if you need to change anything. Working with resentments is not good and it can affect other areas of your life outside the workplace.
2. Using Facebook or Twitter to vent your frustrations at work could turn out to be a big mistake. I see this all the time. Maybe not in the area of people venting about hating there jobs but how many times have we heard of someone putting something out there on Facebook or Twitter and all of a sudden we are seeing it on the news. Guess what? Your boss probably uses social media too so venting on any social media could turn out to be harmful to your job. If you are going to put it out there keep in mind that it might not be just your friends that see it.
Attitude of Gratitude
3. Changing your attitude could turn out to be a much needed fix in a job you hate. Going to work with a negative attitude is only going to make things worse. It only takes one person with a negative attitude to affect the entire workplace. people respond negative to negativity. Even if you have to fake it try not to spread negativity around the work place. Be happy you have a job and try looking at the glass as half full instead of half empty. An attitude of gratitude goes a long way especially when you have to be there anyway. Remember your coworkers have to wake up everyday and go to this job too, so the better your attitude the better your Day.
Keep it Real
4. Be considerate and courteous of others. Just because your miserable at work doesn’t mean clients, customers or coworkers need to see it. If you are seeking alternate employment you are going to need a good reference from your current employer, so the less negativity the better. If you truly want to quit your job do it the right way and I wouldn’t recommend quitting a job before you have another one. Let your boss know that you appreciate the opportunity but you are moving in a different direction. Give your boss a couple weeks notice before quitting so they can find a replacement. You never want to burn a bridge that you may need to cross over again someday. Life is unpredictable and you may someday need to go back or at least use your former employer as a reference.
Make Time for Yourself
5. You could try getting up a few minutes earlier for a little quality you time. It could be tough at first so give your body time to adjust to getting up earlier. Maybe start waking up 15 minutes earlier for a month and the next month a half hour earlier until you figure out just how long you need to start your day out with some quality time before work. This time could be so valuable. You may use it to make yourself a good healthy breakfast, followed by a little reading, or even a workout. This is your time so you can do whatever helps you start your day better.
Everything successful in life starts out with a dream. Just look at how far technology has come. Everyone starts out with a dream. In the early Sci Fi movies they would talk to each other on screens and I would think how outside the box that was and say things like Only in The Movies. Now we do this almost everyday with things like Face Time and Skype. This is just one example. My point is that someone had a dream and turned that dream into reality. My Dream was to work for myself and escape the Daily Grind of the work force. We all have dreams and it’s up to us to make them happen. No one is going to do it for us.
I Followed My Dream
When I first decide I had enough of working for the Man I started my own collision repair shop, since it was the Industry I was most experienced in. I started with nothing and had to fight and claw my way to achieve any success. There were no sick days and if I didn’t work I didn’t get paid. I Knew that my body couldn’t keep up with this fast paced industry so I started to execute Plan A. My Collision shop was my plan B, but it was what I had to do to pay the Bills while I learned about my dream to work online. Although it was one of the hardest things to do at the time my dream was important enough to stay focused and diligent. I searched for years and was ready to give up. But following my dream eventually led me to Wealthy Affiliate Where I was able to learn the correct ways to work from home online.
Please leave a comment if you would like to share what you do to help get through the day. If you hate your job. Or even just share what your dream job would be. Whatever it is share your thoughts.
Jason (Scam Prevention Team)